Monday, July 7, 2008

Mentor Past or How I Started Mentoring in a Virtual World

My first virtual world was not Second Life. It was There. I arrived all newbied and ready to go.I wandered around There looking at the sites and meeting up with people. I went to parties and danced like a robot. One day I had questions and I met Alliez. That was over 4 years ago.

One day in Second Life I saw someone in group chat answer a question. This person was also named Alliez. Coincidence? I IMed her and sure enough it was Alliez from There. Alliez Mysterio was my Mentor from There. She ran a group called Newbie Haven. I became a Newbie Haven helper and Alliez recruited me. I spent the majority of my time wandering around the newbie areas helping people out in There. Alliez left There and moved on to SL and shortly there after so did I and some of my friends. The rest is SL history.

Whenever I see Alliez it takes me back to my Mentor past. At closing speeches for SL5B I saw her standing near the podium. I IMed and said hi. It was great to chat with her and catch up on her Second Life.

Thanks for being my Mentor Alliez!
Go out and be inspirational!!

No comments: